install on compact flash

I bought a single-board computer from Soekris Engineering that uses a
compact flash card instead of a hard drive.  I would like to install
Debian on the CF card while it's in the USB card reader attached to my
laptop, so that I when I put the card in the single-board computer, it
will be all ready to boot and run.

How do I do that?  The only instructions I've found are for putting
the Debian installer and iso image on the card.  But then when I boot
from it, I have to go through the whole installation process.  I don't
want to do that, since the Soekris has no monitor or keyboard.

Is there a way to install without using the Debian installer?  Or is
there some way to run the installer on my laptop and have it install
everything on the compact flash card (and not mess with my laptop's OS
of course)?

-David