Re: Disabling some services indivually and easily (nut)

On 19.09.06 01:00, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
>    I wanted an administratively easy way to disable a service from
>    running, something that could be specified at the LILO or GRUB boot
>    prompt.
>
>    I proposed to disable this service in run level 3, while still
>    leaving it running at level 2. This would mean disabling the service
>    would be as easy as adding a `3' at the end of the command line

well, the runlevel 2 was originally meant to be multiuser without network
services and runlevel 3 was multiuser with network services.

>    I was however concerned that this method would not really be
>    maintainable, nor very practical if there are many services to
>    disable independantly (I would quickly run out of usable run levels).

I'm not sure if init is really limited to documented number of levels...

> Suggestions given:
>
>    - remove the /etc/rc2.d/S*nut

don't remove, upgrade scripts will re-create it. You can rename it to
/etc/rc2.d/K*nut, or you may use sysv-rc-conf or sysvconfig to maintain
those links.

>    - use the level 3 modification
>
>         works, is quite easy, but is not reallys scalable, and you need
>         to know in advance what services are going to break for some
>         reason.

i think levels 2 to 5 are usually the same on debian and you may use it as
you want.

> So, another idea I had:
>
>    - add a disable-service=serv1,serv2,... kernel command line that
>      would be parsed by some Debian service at boot and would temporarily
>      disable the rc.d runner script from starting those services
>
> Would that be a good idea ?

i don't think anyone will add such support to kernel :)

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody