Re: Problem with apt-get after enabling unstable tree

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:09:05 +0200
Kaspar Fischer <fischerk@inf.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a very basic problem and would be glad to be pointed into
> the right direction: Some time ago, I installed debian-sarge and
> was forced to install a version of samba that was only available
> in the unstable tree. Now that an updated version is already
> available in the stable tree, I would like to
>
> - uninstall all packages from the unstable tree
>    (Notice that the original install of samba from the unstable tree
>    required installation of OTHER packages from the unstable tree.)
> - remove the unstable tree entry from /etc/apt/sources.list
> - install samba anew (but from the stable tree)
>
> How can I do this, i.e., tell apt-get to uninstall everything
> from unstable and install "the same" packages from the stable
> tree? I currently end up having tons of dependency/etc. problems.

[...]

'apt-show-versions' will allow you to identify the packages from
unstable. From the package description:

 This is really useful if you have a mixed stable/testing environment
 and want to list all packages which are from testing and can be
 upgraded in testing.

You might find that packages other than samba depend on the unstable
packages you wish to (temporarily) uninstall. Proceed with caution!

--

Liam