Migrate system?

If i want to migrate a system from a "plain ide" system (on board IDE, and
root-fs being /dev/hda2) to a new system where the root-fs would be on a
ICP-Vortex RAID-controller, managed by the gdth module. How would I do that
in an easy fashion?

I thought I would do the following:

1. amend gdth to /etc/mkinitrd/modules on the existing system
2. generate a new initrd for existing system.
3. Install a basic etch on the new platform.
4. copy just about everything except /proc and /dev from the old system to
the new host.
5. edit fstab
6. edit grub config
7. reboot

How bad would this fail?

Also, for the gdth-based system, how can I create a rescue CD that will boot
the system? I can't use makeboot, since the system does not have a floppy
drive, but it does have a CD-R/w unit.