[SOLVED] Re: external USB DVD writer and KDE

H.S. wrote:
H.S. wrote:

(I thought I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have never made it)

Hello,

On a Debian Etch running 2.6.16-2, if I connect an external DVD USB writer (Samsung SE-S164L), I get this in /var/log/syslog:

kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
kernel: usb-storage: device found at 12
kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
kernel:   Vendor: TSSTcorp  Model: CD/DVDW SH-S162L  Rev: TS05
kernel: Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00 kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
kernel: sr 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
Sep 5 22:54:54 localhost udevd-event[2665]: find_free_number: %e is deprecated, will be removed and is unlikely to work correctly. Don't use it.

So it is detected properly by hal and udev makes the /dev/sr0 device. So far so good. However, I do not get a KDE prompt asking what to do if I put in a DVD or CD with data on it as KDE asks if I put a disc in the internal IDE optical drive. And it doesn't even mount it. I have to mount it manually using a mount point. Another point, the drive is successfully detected by k3b in KDE.

... well, almost solved. Thanks to the feedback of Joerg Platte on this list, the problem was the version of hal in my Debian Testing box. Currently it is 0.5.7.1-1. The problem is solved in the next version of hal (which I confirmed in a Debian Unstable box) which is 0.5.7.1-2. The problem is explained in bug #383792 on bugs.debian.org.

So the problem will be solved in Testing too when the new version of hal becomes available in testing branch (around 10 days after it appears in unstable branch I guess).

->HS