Re: external USB DVD writer and KDE

H.S. wrote:
(I thought I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have never made it)

Hello,

On a Debian Etch running 2.6.16-2, if I connect an external DVD USB writer (Samsung SE-S164L), I get this in /var/log/syslog:

kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
kernel: usb-storage: device found at 12
kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
kernel:   Vendor: TSSTcorp  Model: CD/DVDW SH-S162L  Rev: TS05
kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
kernel: sr 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
Sep 5 22:54:54 localhost udevd-event[2665]: find_free_number: %e is deprecated, will be removed and is unlikely to work correctly. Don't use it.

So it is detected properly by hal and udev makes the /dev/sr0 device. So far so good. However, I do not get a KDE prompt asking what to do if I put in a DVD or CD with data on it as KDE asks if I put a disc in the internal IDE optical drive. And it doesn't even mount it. I have to mount it manually using a mount point. Another point, the drive is successfully detected by k3b in KDE.

So what is different between this external writer and the internal optical drive that makes the automounting of a disk different? What am I missing?

thanks,
->HS

Some more info. In /dev, I get the following new devices (except the cdrom -> hdc) when I connect the external USB dvd writer
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 2006-09-07 13:45 cdrom -> hdc
prw-r-----  1 root adm            0 2006-09-07 14:03 xconsole
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           4 2006-09-07 14:03 sr0 -> scd0
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom    11,   0 2006-09-07 14:03 scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           4 2006-09-07 14:03 dvdrw -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           4 2006-09-07 14:03 dvd -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           4 2006-09-07 14:03 cdrw1 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           4 2006-09-07 14:03 cdrom1 -> scd0

So, does all this look okay? I guess the actual dvd device is scd0 and its permissions are also okay. I can insert a DVD in the dvd writer and I can play it in gxine. But KDE still does not mount a data disc automatically and it also does not show any disc icon on the desktop as it does a disc in the internal optical drive.

->HS