Re: window manager not picking up Xresources?

On 09/15/2006 10:52 AM, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:03:23 -0500, "Mumia W."
<paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net> said:
On 09/15/2006 07:50 AM, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
I'm having a strange (to me) problem where xterms launched by the
window manager are clearly ignoring my Xresources settings.  To be
precise:

1) Xterms launched via menu entry or via hard-coded commands in the
   window manager have default settings (small fixed font, white-on
   black) irrespective of the contents of ~/.Xresources. Xterms
   launched by hand (either from other xterms or from a window-manager-
   supplied command line like ratpoison's C-t !) obey all
   .Xresources settings, as expected.  If I launch a second window
   manager from the first, the second window manager behaves
   correctly, i.e. the problem only appears for the first window
   manager to be launched. [...]
What are those hard-coded commands you're talking about? That's
important because terminal emulators recognize their resources based
upon their names. So if you define resources for "XTerm" (note the
capitals), but you start the program as "xterm," it won't work.

The suspect behaviour is exhibited even if the command name is the same:
the fluxbox menu (auto-generated by Debian's menu package, which should
be the same as the one for aewm, ratpoison, etc) has an entry that runs
the command "xterm", which does not pick up the resources.  Running the
textually identical command "xterm" from a shell starts up a terminal
with the resources correctly loaded.

Incidentally, my understanding of the X resources is that class names
are always capitalized (first letter for most programs, first two
letters if the name starts with X), and that is certainly the behaviour
I have seen on other systems.  As I note above, it works fine for
programs launched by other means.

Ian

Do a "ps x" to see what the command lines are for those terminals opened by the menu button. Maybe the menu button is launching the terminals with parameters that override the Xresources.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net