Re: window manager not picking up Xresources?

On 09/15/2006 07:50 AM, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
I'm having a strange (to me) problem where xterms launched by the window
manager are clearly ignoring my Xresources settings.  To be precise:

1) Xterms launched via menu entry or via hard-coded commands in the window manager have default settings (small fixed font, white-on black) irrespective of the contents of ~/.Xresources. Xterms launched by hand (either from other xterms or from a window-manager-supplied command line like ratpoison's C-t !) obey all .Xresources settings, as expected. If I launch a second window manager from the first, the second window manager behaves correctly, i.e. the problem only appears for the first window manager to be launched.
[...]

What are those hard-coded commands you're talking about? That's important because terminal emulators recognize their resources based upon their names. So if you define resources for "XTerm" (note the capitals), but you start the program as "xterm," it won't work.

Try defining resources for "xterm," and see if that works.

Or you can create a symbolic link:
ln -s /usr/bin/xterm ~/bin/XTerm

This assumes that $HOME/bin exists and is in the path.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net