/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh and LVM

I've just spend about 30 minutes trying to reboot my Sid machine :(

During boot it tried to run fsck on /tmp/rootdev.  That failed, telling
me to do it manually instead.  Logging in as root and poking around told
me the following:

 1. /dev/mapper/VGRoot-LVRoot1 was mounted on root
 2. /dev/mapper/VGRoot-LVRoot1 didn't exist
 3. /tmp/rootdev did exist, wasn't mounted, but I couldn't run fsck on
    it.

Booting a Ubuntu LiveCD I ran fsck successfully on the device (logical
volume).  That didn't fix my booting problems though. :)

I found out that not running checkroot.sh at all during bootup is a bad
idea.  Instead I ended up commenting out the following lines:

    #
    # The actual checking is done here.
    #
    if [ "$rootcheck" = yes ]
    then
           if [ -f /forcefsck ]
           then
               log_end_msg $FSCKCODE
           fi
    fi

This is probably not a good solution in the long turn, but it allowed me
to boot, log in, and send this email. :-)

Anyone else with similar problems?

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at
it.
     -- John Hopfield