Re: Problem with soundcard

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 04:47:54PM +0300, Margiolas Christos wrote......

> Before some weeks I bought a very nice laptop, the PA 1510. I am
> tring to install debian testing on it... I have tried the gui and
> the classic installation and I hadn't any problem. The problem is
> that when I am trying to boot the debian system the coptuter show
> me the message"hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC861 trying
> auto-probe from Bios" and after the system hangs and repeat the
> message "azx_get_reponse timeout". The ALC861 is my sound card. I
> tried to give some parametres to grub in order to load the debian
> system. I tried noapic, noacpi but nothing. Also the laptop works
> fine with ubuntu :(.

If you are able to get it working while in ubuntu, then at the
command line run 'lsmod' and see which sound related modules it is
installing.

Then boot to debian and run 'lsmod' again, and see what modules
might not have been loaded that were loaded in ubuntu.

My guess (not tested) is that you need to load the module
'snd-hda-codec'.

If you use the program modconf, you'll find it at:

    kernel/sound/pci/hda

Load it and give that a try too.

Kevin

--