Re: Debian Sarge screen refresh rate

On 9/13/06, Jeff <debian@waysoft.com> wrote:
Rocky Ou wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Mumia W. <mumia.w.18.spam+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> refresh
>> It is

>> > I searched the refresh rate for my monitor and it tells me the max
>> > resolution and refresh rate is 1028*1024 I really do not understand
>> > how to convert this into Xserver config.
>> >
>> > Below is my xserverconfig file but my monitor is using 1028*768 as
>> > resolution and some bad refresh rate which hurts my eyes.
>> >
>> > Can any of you help me please?
>> >
>> > -----------------snip begin-----------------
>> >
>> > # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X Window System server configuration file)
>> > #
>> > # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
>> > using
>> > # values from the debconf database.
>> > #
>> > # Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
>> > # (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
>> > #
>> > # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package
>> upgrades
>> > *only*
>> > # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
>> xserver-xfree86
>> > # package.
>> > #
>> > # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
>> > updated
>> > # again, run the following commands as root:
>> > #
>> > #   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
>> > #   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
>> > #   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>> >
>> > Section "Files"
>> >     FontPath    "unix/:7100"            # local font server
>> >     # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
>> >     FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
>> > EndSection
>> >
>> > Section "Module"
>> >     Load    "GLcore"
>> >     Load    "bitmap"
>> >     Load    "dbe"
>> >     Load    "ddc"
>> >     Load    "dri"
>> >     Load    "extmod"
>> >     Load    "freetype"
>> >     Load    "glx"
>> >     Load    "int10"
>> >     Load    "record"
>> >     Load    "speedo"
>> >     Load    "type1"
>> >     Load    "vbe"
>> > EndSection
>> >
>> > Section "InputDevice"
>> >     Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
>> >     Driver        "keyboard"
>> >     Option        "CoreKeyboard"
>> >     Option        "XkbRules"    "xfree86"
> [...]

Try this command...

lspci|grep -i vga

If it doesn't work, try just "lspci" with nothing else, and eyeball the
result.

You can also inspect the XF86 log in /var/log for clues (I don't
remember the log name - I'm currently using Kubuntu, which uses Xorg
rather than XF86).

Jeff

Hey list,

LIJIANG:~# lspci | grep -i vga
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18
[GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

I do not know how to describe the problem. But my screen right now has
small dots jumps around especially if the monitor renders the white
background images or webpages. It's just like the TV turned on but
with no signal.

Can any of you tell me how should I make my screen works properly
please? I'm using the above pasted XF86Config-4 file except the
horizontal and vertical refresh rate has been changed accordingly to
what I get form vendor's website.

Thanks,
Rocky