VMWare server: running server-console on Sid fails as of today

Today I noticed that vmware-server-console fails:

 /usr/lib/vmware-server-console/bin/vmware-server-console: /usr/lib/vmware-server-console/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

After some searching I found out about the VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK
environment variable. However, no matter what I set it to, it doesn't
work. If it's unset I get the error above, if I set it to any value
(force, no, yes) then vmware-server-console fails silently. The same
silent failure occurs if I LD_PRELOAD libpng or if I copy the library
from /usr/lib to /usr/lib/vmware-server-console/lib/libpng12.so.0.

Anyone else with this problem?
Anyone with a solution?

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job."

-- Some wisdom from The Book.