Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 11:08:32AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > anymore updates. Also, dist-upgrade is not usually needed if you are
> > 'upgrading' within a version whereas 'dist-upgrade' is usally needed if
> > you are moving to a differnt version (cf.  stable->testing,
> > stable->unstable, testing->unstable).

> It is needed if you run unstable.

Occasionally it is.  But people who advocate that you should always use the
'dist-upgrade' target if you use unstable should be shot.

I have a simple metric... I ask unstable users if they know the difference
between the 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade' targets.  Most don't.  Do you?

Most of your random "package $FOO disappeared!" nonsense from cluebies can
be traced directly to their being told to use 'dist-upgrade' without their
also being told that 'dist-upgrade' can change the installation state of a
package, while 'upgrade' cannot.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Every time I think I know where it's at, they
 msw@cox.net |     move it.