Re: config mixer device for aumix

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:43:31 +0000, 46kmz5j02@sneakemail.com wrote:
> On 2006-09-08, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> >> I think that aumix uses some kind of OSS compatibility mode of ALSA. In
> >> my case I need to `modprobe snd-mixer-oss` to get the /dev/mixer
> >> device for aumix.
> >
> > Good point, I had not thought of that. The module is loaded
> > automatically for me during boot (Sid, udev 0.100-1), but that might not
> > be the case for the OP. However, the fact that he has the mixer in
> > /dev/.static/dev/ might mean that the module is loaded in his case as
> > well and that there is a problem with udev.

[...]

> I just now purged hotplug by doing 'aptitude purge hotplug',
> then rebooting.  It didn't fix aumix.
>
> Here is the output of 'lsmod':

[...]

> snd_emu10k1            97252  0
> snd_rawmidi            22688  1 snd_emu10k1
> snd_seq_device          8012  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
> snd_ac97_codec         82528  1 snd_emu10k1
> snd_pcm                77704  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec
> snd_timer              21444  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
> snd_ac97_bus            2112  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_page_alloc          9992  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
> snd_util_mem            4352  1 snd_emu10k1
> snd_hwdep               8480  1 snd_emu10k1
> snd                    48740  7 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,
>                               snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
> emu10k1_gp              3520  0
> soundcore               8992  1 snd

[...]

> And here is the output of lspci:

[...]

> 00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)

[...]

> I know next to nothing about udev; I first heard of it when I
> upgraded to etch, and I got a message about how it wouldn't
> work with the kernel I was using at the time, 2.6.8-3-k7.  I
> thought that was the latest kernel available, until I found
> that they had changed package names from "kernel-image" to
> "linux-image".

udev generates device nodes in /dev/. Sometimes it has to be prodded a
little by modprobing the right modules for missing devices. Try to
"modprobe snd_mixer_oss" as Simo has suggested, and maybe also "modprobe
snd_pcm_oss". Is /dev/mixer created or are there any error messages?

--
Regards,
          Florian