Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

Chris <list.hurschler@gmx.de> writes:
> Thanks for saying that again.  I sometimes seriously wonder if the
> people who claim to have no breakage in unstable use their systems for
> anything other than a console log in.

I certainly do.  I suppose it does depend on which packages you have
installed, but I've run unstable on multiple machines for about 6-7
years (and even various things from experimental), using a typical
desktop workstation install with lots of various whizzy graphical
packages (mostly Gnome/GTK-based though, not KDE).  I update my packages
daily.

I've found that real problems are _extremely_ rare -- the recent xorg
upgrade is the only one that's bit me in ages and ages.  Mostly the only
thing that goes wrong is packages that won't install because of
dependency problems, and the occasional package that fails during
install because of missing dependencies or something.  Typically the
solution is to put the package on hold, wait a few days, and try again.

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.