Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

On Friday 08 September 2006 17:32, Jordi Carrillo wrote:
> You say you reinstalled from zero twice. What's the best way to get into
> unstable? Installing the stable version and then doing a dist-upgrade or
> installing unstable right-away, I mean when debian installation asks you
> which sources to choose you manually edit sources.list and put the unstable
> sentence ;-)

Install testing and then upgrade to unstable. You cannot directly install
unstable.

> Another question. When testing becomes stable, I suppose that after this
> transition if you have sth like
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> your debian will go on with the next testing debian Os, right? just doing a
> apt-get upgrade will do the trick, won't it?

Right. If the new testing distribution is in working condition, then yes
apt-get upgrade will suffice. But keep in mind that 'apt-get upgrade' might
fail (ie it does not do what you want it to do) sometimes when using testing
or unstable.

You can also find more info regarding these type of questions at
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar