Inserting custom module during etch install

Hey guys;

I need to insert a custom module for my e1000 82563EB NIC during the
Etch install, but don't really know how I can compile the module
sources to fit with the kernel verison on the Etch CD.

Yes, there's an e1000 module already existing on the CD, but Intel
released a new chipset (82563EB) and waited so long before releasing
the sources for it so they haven't made it into the kernel tree yet.

I thought about downloading the same kernel source tree (2.6.16) and
compile the module sources against it, but this broke halway during
the compilation...

Any ideas?

Best regards,
--