Re: esound locking sound

On 09/03/2006 05:20 AM, garrone wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am having some difficulty getting sound perfectly right.
>
>  The esd or esound daemon is hogging /dev/dsp etc, causing
>  game sound and ogg123 to fail. I have to kill esd manually and
>  start the alsamixergui application and enable channels
>  before games/music will play any sound.
>
>  I'm trying to run a gnome desktop, which depends on esound.
>  But of course I want to run other stuff.
>
>  How is this supposed to be configured? Are there any decent
>  guides for this?
>
>  Thanks in advance.

Esound grabs /dev/dsp to manage it, so you can hear sounds from
different apps concurrently.  For example, hear warning or alert sounds
while playing mp3s or videos.

On sarge, for ogg123, you'll need to put this in  /etc/libao.conf or
~/.libao:
default_driver=esd

That works for me.  See man libao.conf .

I wouldn't know about the games.  For xmms, Options -> preferences,
eSound.  For mplayer, ~/.mplayer/config , add:  ao=esd .

For flash, I needed to add this link:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1

I never found this info in one place!  Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Ralph