Re: fetchmail config question

On Saturday 02 September 2006 19:25, marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to grab emails for a whole domain (fred.com) from a mailbox -
> either POP3 or IMAP, either will do - and forward to Postfix on the
> local domain (insidefirewall.blah) and have the emails distributed to
> the appropriate local accounts. Postfix is set-up with mostly with
> virtual accounts - and a few local /Maildir accounts, as you'd expect.
>
> I've had a look at getmail and fetchmail, but can't understand the
> required config to make this work.
>
> I've no problem connecting to the mail server with, say:
>
>   poll mail.fred.com with protocol pop3
>     user marc@fred.com there with password "pa55werd"
>
> but this, of course, dumps everything into one local email account.
>
> I also tried the likes of:
>
>   poll mail.fred.com with protocol pop3 no envelope localdomains
> insidefirewall.blah
>     user marc@fred.com there with password "pa55werd" to * here
>     smtphost localhost
>
> but this retains the original domain on emails, so sets up an email loop
> when Postfix re-relays the emails.
>
> I understand that I can do what I want one account at a time, but that
> simply increases the admin required in the setup by a couple of orders
> of magnitude. This is not an option.
>
> The fetchmail docs are close to impenetrable, which doesn't help. The
> getmail docs are much, much better, but, as I read them, getmail doesn't
> write to SMTP:25, only directly to Maildir or mbox.
>
> Is there a sane way to do this?

I am not sure its fetchmail that is your problem.  Here is my fetchmailrc
(with the password removed).  The first account is a catchall and will have
mails addressed to anyone in my system - the * is the key here, the other
four are specific accounts which I pass on to.  Exim is the system that picks
up the accounts from there

So here is fetchmailrc

#       $Id: fetchmailrc,v 1.1 2002/11/11 19:16:22 alan Exp $
#       Created by AKC 14th July 2000
set daemon 1800
set syslog
#
poll imap.blueyonder.co.uk no dns proto IMAP tracepolls
        aka blueyonder.co.uk
        localdomains chandlerfamily.org.uk libdebate.org
 user "ac003a3222" password "x" forcecr is * fetchall expunge 8 smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "ac003a3222_2" password "x" forcecr is sarah fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "ac003a3222_3" password "x" forcecr is emily fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "ac003a3222_4" password "x" forcecr is carrie fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "ac003a3222_5" password "x" forcecr is alan fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk

Hope you can use it as an example for you

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk