linuxtv on debian

Is there anyone out there who has set up a usb dvb-t tuner under debian.  I
have been trying to ask questions on the mythtv mailing list, but the people
I am talking to do not understand debian and I am not getting very far.  All
the documentation I read says that hotplug should deal with things, where as
in the Debian Etch system that I have, hotplug has been depreciated in favour
of udev.

On my Etch system I have installed the mythtv backend package.  However, in
terms of getting it operational, I can't get past the first hurdle and get it
to recognise my usb tuner modules.  I should have a /dev/dvb directory
created but I have nothing.  I suspect it is a combination of udev rules and
me not understanding the process, since when I do plug in the module, a udev
event is generated, there is some recognition of the device in the /sys
filesystem, but the device is not initiated (its powerlight is not on - I
think it should try and load firmware which is not happening) and there is
nothing in any logs or dmesg.

One issue I have is that once the device is loaded /sys reports the vendor id
and product id as 14aa and 0225 respectively.  These are close to the vendor
id's as mentioned on the linuxtv web site, but not the same.

So could someone explain what SHOULD happen when a device is plugged in and
how I can find out precisely which model of tuner I have.  How the device is
recognised, and how firmware gets loaded into it (and from which directory).
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk