Re: Use of dpkg --set-selections is brain-dead?

T wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:57:10 -0400, Michael S. Peek wrote:

...  If I specify: lpr- and cupsys-bsd+ (which conflicts w/ lpr),
then apt-get chokes on cupsys-bsd, saying that it can't proceed because it
conflicts w/ lpr (duh, that's what the lpr- on the command line was for).

It should work. That's the trick I used to play. Now I'm thinking that
your whole package management system is in some kind of weird stage now...
Aha!  Kudos to Martin Krafft for figuring this out for me!

The problem: Specifying lpr_, cupsys-bsd+, and my custom tiem-cups-cfg+ packages on the command line to apt-get or aptitude.

a) lpr conflicts with cupsys-bsd
b) cupsys-bsd is a pre-dependency for my tiem-cups-cfg package
c) apt processes pre-dependencies *before* package removal (or at least it appears to be the case in sarge).

When apt sees that it cannot install the pre-dependency package cupsys-bsd, because lpr is still installed and in the way, it exits with an error. apt isn't smart enough to take it one step farther and see if lpr can be removed in order to resolve the pre-dependency conflict.

The (easiest) solution for me was to break package installation into two passes:
1) Install/remove all non-"tiem-*" packages
2) Install/remove only "tiem-*" packages

Now things seem to be working propperly.

Michael Peek