Thunderbird does not show attachments any longer

... after the last upgrade of Thunderbird on Sarge, I noticed that of the
Attachments field only the upper third part was visible .
No chance to see a name of an attachment or click on any.
No, I'm not a newbie .... I have tried resizing the window, the panes,
fonts, you name it. It simply doesn't show anything more. It is a field
below the message, quite low but rather wide, that does keep its size
seemingly invariable: about one third of what it ought to be (used to be).

To me that's a real show stopper; if there is no solution I have to switch
to another client rapidly, since I cannot get to any attachment sent to me.

Please, help !

Uwe