Re: Creating custom deb package with conffiles overrides

Le mercredi 30 août 2006 à 11:37 -0700, Atle Veka a écrit :
> Hi,
> 	I am trying to create a custom configuration package which among
> other things installs an snmpd.conf into /etc/snmp/. Is there a way in my
> package declaration to tell apt to override the previously installed snmpd
> package that "owns" /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf? Or should I be going about this
> another way?
>
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fci-newos-base_1.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf', which is also in package
> snmpd

I think you can't. What you can do is dynamically create the file in
your postinst, but dpkg will mention that the file has been modified
each time snmpd is upgraded. What I would do (if it is possible and if
it would do the trick) is ship a separate file and use the postinst
script to append something like a "include,myfile.conf" at the end of
`/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf' (I don't know the syntax of this file). dpkg
would still ask what to do upon upgrade, but it looks cleaner to me to
have a single line to manage in the file.

A topic on this subject just started on debian-devel (how to make things
easier for people doing what you are trying to), I suggest you browse
the archive tomorrow.

T.