Re: Which 32 bit kernel runs better under AMD64 architure, 686 or k7?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:27:34AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 11:33:14PM -0300, Marcello Di Marino Azevedo wrote:
> >> Probably you are tired to see tons of questions like this, but...
> >>
> >> I have two new servers coming for a critical mission application. My
> >> question is simple, will sarge i386 port (32 bit only) runs fine under
> >> an AMD64 X2?
> >>
> >> For example, if I install kernel 2.6.8-k7-smp it will see 2 CPUs?
> >>
> >> Which 32 bit kernel runs better under AMD64 architure, 686 or k7?
> >>
> > Well, the 686 kernel is for 686 CPUs (which the amd64 is not).
>
> All K7 CPUs most emphatically *are* 686 CPUs, since they execute all
> the relevant Pentium Pro opcodes.
>
> >                                                                Also,
> > the k7 kernel is for 32 bit Athlon CPUs (which the amd64 is not).
>
> The K8 (in 32-bit mode) most assuredly *is* a K7.  (What, you think
> AMD would break backward compatibility?  That's the big draw of AMD64.)
>
> So, the AMD64 (in 32-bit mode) is a K7, and the K7 "is" 686, either
> kernel will work.
>
> >                                                                  You
> > need a k8 kernel, specifically.  Of course, if you run a kernel with SMP
> > enabled, and you have more than one processor, you will see more than
> > one processer.
>
> This is correct.  You need an SMP-enabled kernel.
>
> To get a 0.5% speed boost, use a k7-SMP kernel.

Correct on all counts.  However, what is the point of having an amd64
CPU to then run an "inferior" kernel on it?  I was not concerned with
the question of compatibility, which you adressed, but rather which is
the "best" kernel for that CPU.

Regards,

-Roberto

--