Re: Using cups remotely?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:07:50 -0300
Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two networked sarge machines. One is printing successfully via
> cups to a paralel hp printer. How do I set up the other machine to use
> this one remotely, preferably as default?
> Links/howtos/threads also accepted :)
>
> thanks guys!

On the machine to which the printer is attached, edit the
file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so that the cups daemon listens for
connections on the necessary interfaces (not just localhost) and
connections from the other machine are accepted. The file is well
documented, but get back to us if you run into problems.

On the other machine, edit the file /etc/cups/client.conf so that it
contains the line

    ServerName server_hostname

where server_hostname is (you guessed it) the hostname of the first
machine. There is no need for the cups daemon on the second machine; in
fact, you only need to install the cupsys-client package.

--

Liam