Autofs behaviour: how to show mountable resources in advance

I have a bunch of autofs mounts in my etch box, whose doesn't show in my
filesystem tree until I explicitly use them, with a cd command, for instance
(ok, this is the intend autofs behaviour);

My Solaris 9 boxes show a different behaviour: autofs resources do show
in the filesystem tree while still not mounted, as owned by root. Once I
effectively use them, they are mounted, and show with correct group/owner.

That may look odd, since mounts are performed only when needed, but
is convenient for the user, because he/her can see in advance the resources
he/her can reach. Is there any way to get such behaviour with debian etch?

Thanks,
Joao