Printing MATHML

I am trying out MATHML (e.g. using Firefox and Mozilla for viewing and printing the "MATHML Torture Test" at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.xhtml), and while by now I have good results displaying the formulas, printing them does not work at all well. There are problems with "big" symbols (extending over several lines), like summation and integral signs, roots, brackets, etc.; they are missing altogether, printed too small, and/or printed in the wrong location.

This is rather galling because MATHML displays and prints well under Windows XP, both with IE and with Firefox.

Did anyone succeed in making "web math" printing work in Debian? With which fonts? Any special tricks? xprint or PostScript/Default?

note 1: my system uses UTF-8 by default.
note 2: I start Firefox by means of MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 firefox,
        otherwise Firefox makes a complete mess of MATHML display.
        This is a known bug (361183).

Regards, Jan