Re: fstab entries for two different pendrives?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 12:56:39 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have the following problem:
> yesterday I bought a new 256 MB pendrive, that wants to be mounted
> as `/dev/sda' whereas the other one I have wants `/dev/sda1'.
> Now, if in /etc/fstab I put the sda entry first, then can't mount sda1;
> and vice versa, if I put sda1 first then I can't mount sda.
>
> Any suggestion to be able to mount both?

If you install the "pmount" package and add your user to the "plugdev"
group then you will not need fstab entries for pluggable devices anymore.
(You should then just comment these entries out or remove them
entirely.) Devices will be mounted at the correct mount point
automatically. Even better, if you use the "pmount-hal" command then the
devices will be mounted by their volume label so that you can address
each medium unambiguously and independent of the order in which you
attached them. This is also fully integrated in e.g. KDE and Gnome.

--
Regards,
          Florian