Re: PostgreSQL 8 debs on Debian 3.1r2

Hello Roberto,

On 8/24/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 05:25:57PM +0200, Alexander Farber wrote:
> $ dpkg -l | grep postgres
> ii  postgresql     7.4.7-6sarge2  object-relational SQL database management
> ii  postgresql-cli 7.4.7-6sarge2  front-end programs for PostgreSQL
> ii  postgresql-con 7.4.7-6sarge2  additional facilities for PostgreSQL
> ii  postgresql-dev 7.4.7-6sarge2  development files for libpq (PostgreSQL
> ii  postgresql-doc 7.4.7-6sarge2  documentation for the PostgreSQL database

Postgres packages for version 8.1 are available at www.backports.org.
However, they are *not* officially supported, nor do they receive
official support from the security team.  Now, the people who produce
those packages are the same as those who maintain the official Debian

thank you - as a Debian-newbie I wasn't aware of that repository.
Unfortunately the doc there is sparse and I still have problems:

I've enhanced my /etc/apt/sources.list:
  deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
  deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
  deb http://www.backports.org/debian sarge-backports main contrib non-free

Then I've tried:
   $ sudo apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql
   Reading Package Lists... Done
   Building Dependency Tree... Done
   postgresql is already the newest version.
   0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 57 not upgraded.

  $sudo apt-get -t sarge-backports update postgresql
  E: The update command takes no arguments

So I've tried to remove the old packages first:
  $ sudo dpkg --purge postgresql postgresql-client postgresql-contrib

And then I run
 $  sudo apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql

But it installs the old packages again:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
 postgresql-client
Suggested packages:
 libpgjava libpgtcl postgresql-doc postgresql-dev postgresql-contrib pidentd
 ident-server pgdocs pgaccess
 postgresql postgresql-client
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 57 not upgraded.
Need to get 4339kB of archives.
After unpacking 11.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main postgresql-client
7.4.7-6sarge2 [540kB]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main postgresql
7.4.7-6sarge2 [3799kB]
Fetched 4339kB in 12s (347kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package postgresql-client.
(Reading database ... 30254 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgresql-client (from
.../postgresql-client_7.4.7-6sarge2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package postgresql.
Unpacking postgresql (from .../postgresql_7.4.7-6sarge2_i386.deb) ...
Setting up postgresql-client (7.4.7-6sarge2) ...
Setting up postgresql (7.4.7-6sarge2) ...

And as result I have the old stuff again:

  $ dpkg -l | grep postgres
  ii  postgresql     7.4.7-6sarge2  object-relational SQL database management
  ii  postgresql-cli 7.4.7-6sarge2  front-end programs for PostgreSQL

Why doesn't it take the postgresql 8.x packages?

Thank you
Alex

--
http://preferans.de