Re: Why all the futzing with boot loaders

On Aug 24, 2006, at 1:35 AM, Jason Martens wrote:
[...snip...]
My second question:
- After the LILO ''upgrade'', attempts to install lilo have my system unbootable, can anyone tell me how I bolixed things up and walk me through a recovery process? (step 1: how to obtain an bootable floppy with ext3, LILO and command line support)

The easiest way to fix this in my experience is to boot from the debian installer. Something like this should work:
boot installer
Check:   Booted "expert26" from the sarge installer.

mount your root partition to /target
Check: Had to track this one down. The installer doesn't support mounting anything without first partitioning the disk(s). Furthermore, there is no /dev/hda, so instead:
 - <Detect hardware>
 - <Execute a shell>
 -  ~ # mkdir /target
 -  ~ # mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /target
mount any additional partitions in their correct places in /target
Check: though in hindsight, the easiest path might be to do a "mount -a" after chroot target. (assuming root disk isn't corrupted!)

chroot /target
Check:  I had forgotten about this

mount -t proc proc /proc
Check:  This sounds too much like a magical incantation)

apt-get install grub
Check: from /var/cache though if necessary, I could've configured the network.

grub-install /dev/hdx
Check!

If you got this far, you should be able to then reboot into your system. Not exactly easy, but it works.
Its not so bad. The only annoyance was (re)discovering the root filesystem--though I can envision a script to perform that task: (scan for root(s); prompt for selection if necessary; mount ; chroot ; mount -a)

Thank you, thank you. This process is a nice addition to the toolkit. A ''recovery'' script to perform the task would make a nice addition to the installer disk.

--rich