Re: Why all the futzing with boot loaders

Rich Johnson wrote:
I was perfectly happy running LILO with potato and woody.
Then sarge installs with the GRUB bootloader.  All right, I can deal.
Now apt-get dist-upgrade _removes_ a working GRUB and installs a non-working LILO; it doesn't update the MBR.
I'm not really sure why grub would have been removed, but it's almost certainly a mistake. There are a few situations, if I recall correctly, where lilo worked but grub didn't (root on raid/lvm comes to mind). IMHO, grub is a HUGE improvement over lilo, because you can have multiple boot options configured simultaneously, so if you screw up a new kernel install, you can always boot from the old one. Also, if you have a copy of a working menu.lst file, you can always type it in manually at the grub prompt to boot (this may be possible with lilo too, but I don't have any experience with it).

My first question:
 - Can anyone tell me why  there's all this thrashing about?
I think most people have settled on grub. According to popcon.debian.org, grub has 11580 installations, and lilo has 3098 installations.

My second question:
- After the LILO ''upgrade'', attempts to install lilo have my system unbootable, can anyone tell me how I bolixed things up and walk me through a recovery process? (step 1: how to obtain an bootable floppy with ext3, LILO and command line support)

The easiest way to fix this in my experience is to boot from the debian installer. Something like this should work:
boot installer
mount your root partition to /target
mount any additional partitions in their correct places in /target
chroot /target
mount -t proc proc /proc
apt-get install grub
grub-install /dev/hdx

If you got this far, you should be able to then reboot into your system. Not exactly easy, but it works.

The BIOS messages are:
[....]
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK
No boot signature in partition
Boot Failure from Previous Device..

The last commands (and responses)  were:
cmd:$ sudo lilo -M /dev/hda1
Fatal: /dev/hda1 is not a master device with a primary parition table
rich@sensor:~$ sudo lilo -M /dev/hda1 mbr
Fatal: /dev/hda1 is not a master device with a primary parition table
cmd:$ sudo lilo -M /dev/hda mbr
Backup copy of /dev/hda in /boot/boot.0300
The Master Boot Record of  /dev/hda  has been updated.
cmd:$ sudo lilo -v -v
LILO version 22.6.1, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2004 John Coffman
Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 10:36:02 on Nov 29 2005
Debian GNU/Linux

raid_setup returns offset = 00000000  ndisk = 0
BIOS   VolumeID   Device
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
pf_hard_disk_scan: ndevs=1
  0300  35FCF572  /dev/hda
device codes (user assigned pf) = 0
device codes (user assigned) = 0
device codes (BIOS assigned) = 0
device codes (canonical) = 1
Warning: boot record relocation beyond BPB is necessary: /dev/hda1
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Using BITMAP secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data
Secondary loader: 19 sectors (0x3600 dataend).
bios_boot = 0x80  bios_map = 0x80  map==boot = 0  map S/N: 35FCF572
Mapping bitmap file /boot/debianlilo.bmp
Calling map_insert_file
Bitmap: 301 sectors.
BIOS data check will include auto-suppress check

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-2-686
Setup length is 15 sectors.
Mapped 2237 sectors.
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-686
RAM disk: 8490 sectors.
Added Lin_2.6.16img0 *

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386
Setup length is 10 sectors.
Mapped 2146 sectors.
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386
RAM disk: 8432 sectors.
Added Lin_2.6.8img1

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-3-686
Setup length is 10 sectors.
Mapped 2291 sectors.
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-3-686
RAM disk: 9112 sectors.
Added Lin_2.6.8img2

BIOS   VolumeID   Device
  80    35FCF572    0300
Writing boot sector.
/boot/boot.0301 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.
Map file size: 339456 bytes.
RAID device mask 0x0000
Boot sector relocation performed
cmd:$ init 6