Re: IBM A21m thinkpad power management

Gilles Mocellin wrote:

And when it comes to another note book --- It's either a T60 or X60 but I'm
not sure which will work more "out of the box" with Debian.

Do you have laptop-mode-tools and laptop-detect installed ?
When you unplug the power cord, it puts your laptop in a power saving mode :
- change the mode of your cpu scaling
- change the frequency of ext3 journal syncing to disk
- probably other things around acpi

The I tried these and I think the problem comes down to the fact that this is older than the T40's (which someone said worked well) and has zero (functional) support for ACPI other than reading the battery life. Most of the ACPI functions are simply noops.

The APM functions will "do things" but they persist for only a few seconds at most. I'm running WindowMaker and Xorg so there's no Gnome or KDE widgets that are running, but I don't know much about Xorg.

It's kind of ironic that there is so much attention paid to backward compatibility and yet this is just not one of those good stories. Maybe it's time. Prior to ACPI being introduced to the kernel this all worked well. I've removed the ACPI and put in place the APM but with little more effect then I can get my hard drive to sleep for about 1-2 seconds and my screen will blank out. But that's about it.