IBM A21m thinkpad power management

I'm trying to get my thinkpad notebook to actually behave like a notebook again.
I didn't for a while because the battery was shot -- now I have a new one.

But the standard kernel ACPI provided doesn't work at all under this machine and there is no APM support available.

I've been spending about a week trying to build my own kernel with apmd support baked in and have made some progress. The screen can go blank.

But the hard drive refuses to spindown for more than a few seconds, if that. It was originally configured as EXT3 and remounted as EXT2 so I would expect the journaling to stop -- this was a problem with previous builds on this machine.

But it's still no good. Spindown is immediately met with a spinup and sometimes followed by another spindown ... 5 - 30 seconds later -- spinup again. And then I get into this really vicious cycle of up/down/up/down.... Really not doing my hard drive any good.

Any suggestions besides buying another notebook?

And when it comes to another note book --- It's either a T60 or X60 but I'm not sure which will work more "out of the box" with Debian.