Re: startx failed after I installed x-window and kde-core

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 23:53:10 +0800, JerryKwok wrote:
> 2006/8/22, Kent West wrote
> >JerryKwok wrote:
> >> I just installde the Debian Sarge basic system and
> >> x-window-system,kde-core,nvidia driver,and startx but failed(either
> >> root or common account).
> >>
> >> Section "Device"
> >>     Identifier    "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]"
> >>     Driver        "nvidia"
> >> EndSection
> >>

> >Unless I'm mistaken, the "nvidia" driver is NVidia's proprietary driver.
> >You might try the "nv" driver instead, or as a next resort, the "svga"
> >driver. May not be the best solution for you, but it might provide
> >progress.
> >
> >--
> >Kent
> I tried the "nv",didn't work.
> I found the following in log file
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): No modes remaining for display device CRT-0
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
> searched the google but find only find somebody had the same problem solved
> by
> #redhat-config-xfree86
> but I'm in Debian.
> MY Sumsang 711N LCD 17",vertical frequency recommended:60Hz
> So how should I configure it in XF86Config-4 file

Google finds this:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Monitor0"
  VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
  ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster 711N/712N"
  HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
  VertRefresh 56.0 - 61.0
EndSection

I would try it with these two frequency ranges.

--
Regards,
          Florian