Re: Pumping Gas in Oregon (WAS: Re: Osama Bin Laden Take Over List!)

On Monday 21 August 2006 15:50, Jacob S wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:34:16 -0700
>
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> > On Monday 21 August 2006 11:07, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > > I do not have a right hand gas tank, so I get
> > > to sit in a long line and look at the other, empty lane, being
> > > unused. For those of us with left hand gas tanks (the majority),
> > > after I get to move up to a pump I have to wait for the attendant
> > > to get to me to pump my gas, instead of just getting out and
> > > pumping my own.  Then, after the tank is full, I have to wait for
> > > them to get back to me, just to take the nozzle out and hand me my
> > > receipt.  This usually adds at least a minute, if not more, to my
> > > time at the pump, not including any additional time waiting in line
> > > to get to a pump.  If we eliminated that extra time at the pump it
> > > would virtually eliminate any waiting in line, as well.
> >
> > Knowing that's how gas stations work in your area, it would have been
> > prudent to have kept this limitation in mind when you purchased your
> > vehicle. Otherwise you're stuck waiting in line or paying 10-30¢ more
> > per gallon at a self-service cardlock or being an inconsiderate
> > driver by going the wrong way into the right-hand pumps at a
> > Washington self-serve station.
>
> Buy a car just because it has a right hand gas tank?

Quite a few quality vehicles out there put the filler neck on the right (or
less commonly, in the center).

> > > Having pumped my own gas for 32 years and in many states prior to
> > > moving to Oregon, I can say that I have probably seen as many gas
> > > spills from gas station attendants as from self pumping customers.
> > > The total number of spills, from either, sources, is rather low.
> >
> > Go to Vancouver (WA or BC, either of them, doesn't matter).  Or
> > Seattle. There's usually a standing puddle of gasoline in front of at
> > least one pump and the place reeks of gasoline by comparison to even
> > a truck stop gas station in Oregon.  This isn't to say that even the
> > career gas pumpers don't occasionally spill, at least here they're
> > required to clean up gas spills quickly.  Even then, seeing kitty
> > litter or a spill kit in use or a puddle of gas is the exception and
> > not the rule at mini-serve stations.
>
> So you're basing your opinion of "all self-service gas stations" on
> those 3 cities? Quite the limited sample there.

I don't have the time to bang out every Californian location I've seen gas
spilled.

> > (That being said, the only time I've seen them spill was earlier
> > today at an Estby station near Intel where I work since it was
> > running on fumes when I pulled in, the tank burped while refuelling
> > and the nozzle dropped out.  And the Estby station gave me the gas
> > gratis to make up for spilling gas on fender...$5 car wash for $30
> > gas...can't complain too much...)
>
> Just out of curiosity, how much training are these pump attendants
> required to go through to be qualified experts in "pumping gas"?

Usually a quick run through and the first few fills supervised to make sure
they can do it consistently without spilling, somewhat similar to the
membership cardlock self-service gas stations have their customers do.

> Thanks. This thread is reminding me once again of how glad I am to live
> in my home state. Keep up the good work!

That's fine.  That's why you're over there, and we're over here.  Oregon's
full, anyway, we don't need more people.

--
Paul Johnson