Re: Hardware

[Note: reposting to debian-user, where this question is more relevant.]

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:18:44PM -0400, Pat Tadgerson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am going to purchase a new dell server, and I am going to load a debian
> operating system on it.  I was hoping you could recommend a good server for
> me.  I ask, because I have read about so many problems with sata drives and
> raid controller problems.  I am not a real hardware person, but I would like
> a server with 2 hard drives with about 160 gigs of storage, with a raid 0
> configuration.  I will be loading expert26 manual configuration.

Unless you need the big name support or your organization gets a very
good discount from Dell, then I would recommend against them.  I
purchased two TYAN Transport GT20 barebones servers (model B2865G20S4H)
in a 1U formfactor, four Seagate Barracuda 250 GB SATA drives, eight 1
GB low profile Kingston PC3200 ECC RAM modules, and two AMD Operton 148
CPUs, for approximately $2800.  Now, I think you would be hard pressed
to get the same bang for your buck from Dell.

I installed the unofficial Sarge amd64 distro and every single thing was
recognized out of the box.  The only thing I have that is not working
yet is hardware sensors, but that is more becuase I have not taken the
time to actually set it up.  Each machine runs with two hard drives in a
RAID1 configuration with LVM over top of it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez