Re: macromedia new windows version problem

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 01:19:57PM -0500, Jacob S wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:32:49 -0400
> Stephen <stephen.d.allen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:49:12AM -0700 or thereabouts, Paul Johnson
> > wrote:

> > > The "standard" itself is closed, so the best you can hope for is
> > > broken compatibility in the long term.
> >
> > It is NOT a closed standard.
>
> Please present proof of this. As in Adobe's documentation of the
> format. Any lack of prosecution by Adobe does not mean it is an open
> standard, as we witnessed with gif images in recent history.

In fact, the standard is not open.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWF#Licensing.

In any case, "Flash" (which is a program) is not open-source, any more than
Acrobat is just because PDF is, in fact, open.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!