Re: X.org killed my ATI TV

Kent West wrote:

> Bernd Schubert wrote:
>> Kent West wrote:
>>

>>> I kept hoping that a new upgrade of the box would bring in the necessary
>>> stuff to get it working again, as the GATOS site indicated (as well as I
>>> could make out - the site's not organized in a way that I can make much
>>> sense of it) that all the ati.2 driver stuff had been moved into the
>>> X.org project.
>>>

>> >From gatos.sf.net
>>
>>    News
>>    Radeon TV-input code has been merged into X.Org CVS, to appear in
>>    release 7.0.
>>
>> A r128 is not a radeon card, isn't it?
>>

> Perhaps if I were more of a hardware-buff, I'd have recognized the
> import of that statement.

AFAIK, the Radeon and the Rage series are internally entirely different (the
r128 means rage128).

> That site also mentions that "Bogdan Diaconescu has ported rage128 and
> radeon parts of ati.2 code to XFree86 4.4.0 - the new code is in module
> ati.4.4.0 in GATOS CVS."
>
> So, with the clue you've thrown at me, and with this additional
> statement, it looks like my Rage 128 is not going to work with X.org,
> and I'll have to go back to XFree86. Am I understanding correctly? What
> does this mean for using Debian? It was my understanding that Debian is
> dropping XFree86 support in favor of X.org.

Yep, could be possible that nobody has ported this code to Xorg yet.

> Okay; here's the full log:
> http://www.acu.edu/~westk/Xorg.0.log

Hmm, nothing that it even tries to detect the tv-in capabilities. You could
try to add a line

Load "theatre_detect"

to your 'Section "Module"'.

Lets see what your Xorg logfile will say after this. If it doesn't help, you
should ask on a Xorg list.

Cheers,
Bernd