From bounce-debian-user=lists=hydrus.org.uk@lists.debian.org Sun Aug 20 12:03:15 2006
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian-Etch Update 08/19/2006 - AA/Font issues?

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Justin Piszcz wrote:

Anyone run dist-upgrade yesterday in Etch and notice the fonts in
GTK/Gnome Apps are a bit different (worse)? The application's fonts, eg, webpages in firefox are fine but the application itself, menus,
etc, look worse than they did prior to the upgrade.

They appear thicker and vertically longer "stretched" out - has anyone
seen this behaviour?

After browsing some different websites and restarting some xchat's, it appears all the fonts in GTK/Gnome apps are for the worst, I can restore my system from a previous backup and stop upgrading but was wondering if
someone knew of a fix to revert the fonts back to normal?

Justin,

I had similar font problems after a recent etch dist-upgrade.  I
noticed the gtk font problem with xmms.  As a work-around, you can
create .gtkrc in your home directory, and put in something like this:

 style "user-font"
  {
   fontset="-monotype-arial-medium-r-normal-*-*-90-*-*-p-*-microsoft-cp1251"
  }

 widget_class "*" style "user-font"

This doesn't address the original cause of the problem/change, I'm
afraid.

-mark

Yeah, I actually have something similar in my .gtkrc-2.0 file but that has remain unchanged.

This is VERY strange, when I invoke:

$ /usr/bin/gnome-font-properties

Then all of my fonts are back to normal again, but only when I invoke this program, I guess I need to add it to my startup list of programs so it 'sets' the fonts back to normal everytime I login to KDE, what a nasty way to get my fonts back to normal.

Note, when I login to Gnome, it does it automatically, but with KDE (as of now anyway) I need to launch this app everytime to get my fonts back to what they used to be before I upgraded.

Other people reporting the same problem:

http://mandrivausers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t31530.html