Re: wxWidgets versus gtkmm

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 10:13:29PM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > If you want the "best" cross platform library, then I would argue that
> > it is wxWidgets.  It has bindings for C++, Python, Java, Ruby and
> > probably other languages as well.  It has the advantage of supporting
> > something like a dozen different GUI toolkits and you get the native
> > widgets of the target system.  It is also extremely well documented (at
> > least the C++ interface is).
>
> There was no requirement that it has to be Gnome-based -- then I would
> humbly suggest Qt -- many many programmers claim that it is the most
> convenient development library period. And of course its support of C++ is
> excellent (of course, you can use also Java, Python, Ruby, JavaScript if
> you wish).
>
> Mat??j

While I do not doubt that Qt is a good toolkit, I think that it suffers
(to a certain extent) from the same problem as Java GUIs.  That is, they
look out of place pretty much everywhere.  The main exception to the
previous statement being that they integrate into KDE well because of
KDE's foundation in Qt.  Other than that, the fact that wxWidgets gets
native look and fell across all platforms is, IMHO, a killer feature.
Additionally, the license for wxWidgets is much more permissive than
that of Qt, which may be of concern if the software under development is
to be proprietary.

Regards,

-Roberto

--