Re: Where's the grub boot menu?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:01:12 -0500
"Mumia W." <mumia.w.18.spam+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 08/18/2006 03:44 PM, Jacob S wrote:
> > [...]
> > title           stable Xen 3.0.1 / Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
> > 2.6.12.6-xen0 root            (hd0,0)
> > kernel          /xen-3.0.1.gz
> > module          /vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xen0 root=/dev/sda5 ro
> > console=tty0 module          /initrd.img-2.6.12.6-xen0
> > savedefault
> > boot
> > [...]
>
> I think that the kernel options need to appear after the
> kernel name on the "kernel" line.
>
> You use the "module" command to load your initrd. Even after
> reading parts of "info grub," I don't fully understand what
> the module command does, but AFAIK, it's more usual to use the
> "initrd" command to load an initrd.
>
> I would change it like so:

> kernel          /xen-3.0.1.gz root=/dev/sda5 ro console=tty0
> module          /vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xen0
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.12.6-xen0
>
> Note, I have no experience with Xen.

Yes, Xen makes the menu.lst look a bit strange. The documentation for
Xen specifically says the initrd needs to be used on a module line,
instead of an initrd line. I believe part of the reason for this is
that Xen basically takes control as the primary domain, and then the
"privileged domain" itself runs as a virtual server. Xen does not have
the binaries and command line tools of a real operating system though,
so any configuration of it is done from the "privileged domain" (aka
dom0).

I have not specifically read about the kernel options, though all of
the Xen howtos have done it the way I did. Also, when I boot using the
grub shell, I type it exactly as I have it in the menu.lst and it works
perfectly. And it used to work without needing the grub shell, when I
had the kernel/module lines in the same order as I have them currently.

Now you see a little (more) of why it is confusing me so much. :-)

Thanks,
Jacob