Re: how can run linux (kernel and gui from ram)

Jabka Atu wrote:
> couse  the big uptimes  of debain (some times for weekes without rebooting)
> i can mount all root (expect /home) to memory and to gain read/write much
> faster.
> the files are cped from my  harddrive (i thouth using cron to backup the
> /usr and / ).
> isn't 1gb of ram enuth for KDE + OpenOffice?

Unless it won't fit in 3GB.

  # du -s -h /usr
  6.1G    /usr

See, there's a reason why people don't do what you are proposing:
it's not an efficient use of RAM.  Let Linux do it's job and manage
the memory; it's very good at it's job.

BTW, why do you need 4GB RAM?  Geek status (I did the same 3 years
ago with 1GB RAM) or some specific reason?

> On 8/17/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:51:12PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
>> > Hello..
>> > im going to buy a new pc with 4gb ram .
>> > id like to run whole system from ram :
>> > at boot that files will be cpd to ram disk and then the kernal will
>> load
>> > from ramdisk :
>> > sevrel Question :
>> > can i some how change loaded kernal path :
>> > after boot remount it from other place.
>> > will Kde (or Xfce ) run faster if i run it from mem? (no read/write
>> > needed time).
>> >

>> I don't mean to be negative, but your scheme makes little sense.  The
>> *only* thing that you will accomplish by running from RAM is that
>> read/write times will be reduced.  Now, you can't do this for all writes
>> since you really need pretty much all of /var on disk so that a system
>> or power failure does not completely trash every bit of your system
>> state.  Additionally, in the grand scheme things, you read from disk
>> much more often that you write.  You generally only write when some
>> state is being saved to disk or when you save a file.  Beyond that,
>> nearly every other interaction with disk is loading programs, libraries
>> or other files into memory.
>>
>> The Linux kernel has a very good memory manager.  When you first start
>> up your machine things like KDE and OpenOffice will probably take a bit
>> of time to load.  Now, if you leave your machine running all the time,
>> then Linux will keep everything cached in memory.  Since you generally
>> only use a small percentage of what is installed on your system this
>> works out quite well.
>>
>> What you want to do is give up much of your very fast RAM (I am guessing
>> around 3 GB) to store your / and /usr at least) so that when you go to
>> use something is quickly transfered from one part of RAM to another.  Of
>> course, you will now have much less RAM and Linux will spend time
>> clearing out things from the remaining 1 GB to make room for other
>> things that are loaded.  Then the images for the new programs and
>> libraries must be transferred back and forth.  I would argue that you
>> would lose overall performance.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA