Re: problems while making java package using fakeroot

Mark Grieveson wrote:

The Debian package has been created in the current directory. You can
install the package as root (e.g. dpkg -i sun-j2sdk1.5_1.5.0+update08_i386.deb).

Removing temporary directory: done

So, after the last step, if my deb finally okay? Should I be worrying about the "format of 'NEEDED ....so' not recognized" warnings?

Another webpage (Ubuntu groups) mentions that the warnings about permissions denined while creating system directories can be ignored.

Can somebody who has done this sucessfully explain if I am doing this right?

Thanks,
->HS

Yes, you're doing it right.  Just do what it tells you to do ("You can
install the package as root (e.g. dpkg -i sun-j2sdk1.5_1.5.0+update08_i386.deb)."

Mark

Exactly. I was a bit confused myself when I saw so many "errors". A google search provided me with clarity that the package was fine.

On another note, the link that you followed for installing jdk only tells you how to install using 'make-jpkg'. This link (http://wiki.serios.net/wiki/Debian_Java_JRE/JDK_installation) seems a bit more extensive. It covers other ways of installing jdk. In particular, if you scroll down to section 2 (The different methods of installing JRE), you'll notice in yellow that there are java packages for Debian available in unstable/no-free. I think these may be better. I've already tried them and they install plugins, etc.