Re: wireless - where to start?

Tyler Smith wrote:
> Debian Etch, freshly installed and upgraded
> Linksys model no. WPC55AG notebook adapter card
> Toshiba Satellite 2410 laptop (I have to wait for my thinkpad...)

What's the PCI ID for that particular card (hint -- lspci and lspci -n will
tell you) -- the same cards are distributed under so many different names,
that it is always better to use that then commercial name.

So, for example I am fortunate/unfortunate owner of this (output of lspci):

02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirFrce One 54g] \
        802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

when looking at lspci -n I see this:

02:03.0 0280: 14e4:4318 (rev 02)

so that get PCI ID is 14e4:4318. If just look for this string on Google you
will get probably much more hits than with the commercial names (answers
will be more Linux-oriented -- people at Windows world usually don't get
that deep to need to use PCI ID numbers). So for example, sixth hit on
Yahoo! is super important big-humengous-List on ndiswrapper web site
(http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List), which means
that I have to use ndiswrapper (which is a shell which allows us to use on
Linux drivers from Windows). And after long struggle with this card I know
that although there is project http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ with drivers for
some Broadcom cards in the vanilla kernel, I know that exactly mine BCM4318
is still not supported, so I have to stay with ndiswrapper.

Does it make any sense?

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
trivial.
      -- Irvin S. Cobb