Xorg causes FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO mode init failed if depth>16

I just upgraded from sarge to etch and the switch to Xorg did not
work.  It converted my config quite well, but it will only work if I
set the depth to 16.  24-bit fails with the errors:

(==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): mode initialization failed

I'm using the radeonfb driver with fbdev on my ATI Radeon 9800, see my
config and full log at http://ir.iit.edu/~ej/xbug/ for details.  After
some searching, it doesn't seem like this is giving me enough
information to debug.  I've tried switching UseFBDev, increasing or
getting rid of HorizSync or VertRefresh, adding the modeline it
reports when I start in 16-bit mode,  "CalcAlgorithm"
"UseFrameBufferTiming", and depth 32 (which fails with (EE) FBDEV(0):
Weight given (000) is inconsistent with the depth (32)
).  Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
eric.

--