Re: chown

>Kent wrote:

>I've been unable to find this in the info page for chown. Odd that
>it's
>not documented in the "official" documentation (as I understand
>it). I
>wonder how we're supposed to know this (assuming Paul's not always
>there
>to tell us ;-)  ).

>--
>Kent

If you have root privileges on the machine why not just create the
dir under teste name?

For example su teste mkdir blahblahblah. Now chown might not be the
right command to use. It will change the ownership of the file, but
will it give the correct permission you desire, probably not. The
command you should consider would be chmod.

type man chmod, or if you like a nice html example of it use
Konqueror. Like this man:chmod or man:chown this will bring up a
nice html of the man page, or allow you to choose the correct one.
This is one reason I like Konqueror, that and it's file browser,
nice to have around. Or if you have emacs you can try the info
command with the above, but I would not be surprised if both of
those are short and might not have info files.

As you know both commands assume that you kind of know what file
permissions are, and the commands have been around for yonks. The
below is a simple article that might be useful as a reference to
describe the difference.

http://www.freeos.com/articles/4440/

I would probably suggest you look into the other with read
permission and execute this will allow aluno to read the directory
but not write to it.

Gnu_Raiz