Re: Characters: ââ Plagueing system

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 10:09:30PM +0800, Anthony Hawkes wrote:
> CJ van den Berg wrote:
> >Run "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and make sure all the locales you are using
> >are selected. If you're working over an ssh connection make sure you do it
> >on the target machine too.
>
> Not quite sure what you mean by "on the target machine" do you mean on
> the machine physically?

You don't have to phyically sit at the machine, no. I just meant for you to
also run it on whatever machine the perl program was running on.

> Anyways thanks for the help guys seems to be "okay" for now, ran export
> LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 after selecting the language now no errors seem to be
> occurring and the output seem fine.

Great. Sounds like your problem's solved.

> Let me know also if that was a bad idea, I've added it to /etc/profile,
> I'm kinda noob at general stuff like this but Its what made sense at the
> time :)

Putting it in /etc/profile is fine. The "standard" debian method is to put
it in /etc/default/locale though, but it shouldn't make much difference if
you are only working from the console (or ssh). The only difference is that
/etc/default/locale is read by other stuff besides shells. Like GDM for
example.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@vdbonline.com