Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

Seth Goodman wrote:

> Does that represent the Debian position?  I'd very much like to know.
> If so, I'll continue to use it in server applications and stop
> recommending it to friends who are not computer professionals.  That
> would certainly make my life easier and Microsoft more profitable.

It represents _my_ position, which is all I will ever claim to
represent (unless I have to.)

I'm afraid you are missing my point, though.

I genuinely did agree with that statement. Not because I wanted
to insult Windows users, nor because I look down on the Linux
distributions that try to cater for them.

My point was that you should choose the right tool for the job.

Other Linux distributions specifically cater for fresh beginners
/ former Windows users. Debian, on the other hand, has other
objectives. (Believe it or not, there are more important things
for an OS to do than to try and make it easy for Windows users to
use it.)

Finally, if you are recommending a Linux distribution to your
friends that you know is currently unsuitable for them, then you
are doing Linux a disservice.

> Where does that leave open-source software?  Well, I guess that will
> stay limited to the 10% market share reserved for any product designed
> for the cognoscenti.  We can keep our install CD's right next to our
> Sony Beta-Max tapes.

Whatever. ;-)

Best regards,

--