Re: Pre-installed Debian: two questions

My first question is, will Debian 4.0 come with soundcore
compiled, or will I need to recompile?

I run Debian Etch. Although it is the testing distribution now, it
will be the next stable, version 4.0.

$ /sbin/modinfo soundcore
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.15-1-686/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
author:         Alan Cox
license:        GPL
alias:          char-major-14-*
vermagic:       2.6.15-1-686 686 gcc-4.0
depends:

So, yeah, you should be fine there.

My second question is about the dealer I am leaning towards:
SW Technology at http://www.swt.com Can anyone provide feedback
about them?

I have never used or even heard of that particular dealer. As someone
else mentioned, it may be better to set up your own box. It will be
cheaper, more fun, and, in many cases better suited to your particular
needs. Of course, you actually have to set it up, and you won't get
any tech support.

Also, let me just add that unless you are running a server (and so
100% stability is crucial), or you do not want to deal with any
problems at all, I suggest that you use Testing as opposed to Stable.
Stable gets old very quickly, but is, like its name implies, very
stable.