Re: Managing the physical re-arrangement of my disks (boot sector question and lvm question)

On Monday 14 August 2006 08:49, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> writes:
> > 1)
> > Before finally removing it, I would like to set up the disk that is
> > currently in /dev/hdc with a boot sector and filesystem, such that when
> > re-install it as /dev/hda it just boots up the root filesystem in its
> > first partition. Obviously I can just copy the existing filesystem over,
> > and adjust a few mount points, but what about the boot sector.  Can I
> > just use dd to copy the first 512 bytes from /dev/hda to /dev/hdc, or
> > will that screw up my partition tables?  In otherwords, how to I prepare
> > the boot sector on /dev/hdc, so when I install it as /dev/hda it just
> > works?
>
> A simpler approach would be to make yourself a GRUB boot CD or a GRUB
> boot floppy; with it you can boot the system, after which you can
> reinstall GRUB to whichever drive you wish.
>
> And don't forget that you can use the GRUB boot CD or floppy to explore
> a system, in case you forget precisely what is where.  Look over the
> GRUB manual.
 Thanks for that - I had not thought about it before, but that seems a good
solution to Question1)

Now just need answers to 2  (I think I can deal with question 3 without help)

Question 2)

If I move a disk to a different device, will the LVM PV on the disk still work

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk